Saturday 27 March 2010

steve archer - which elements were most important for my video

Steve Archer's 8 elements to a music video gave me a better insight into factors that make a successful music video. I found some of these elements more important than others when producing my own media text:

*Music = The music was a main part to my music video as it drove my editing, I wanted all the cuts to be in time with the music, even though this was difficult at lining up the image with the music - for example when spelling out the lyrics on toys, my cuts had to be just right otherwise it wouldn't have worked.


*Camerawork = After shooting my first piece of film for 'Hot Air Balloon' I found some shots way too dark,unsteady and that I hadn't shot enough long shots to establish the scene. I then realised how important camerawork is to a video. I went back and re-filmed some scenes and found it was so much more effect when they were brighter and steady, it made my video look dramatically better. I also realised that playing around with different angles provides more of a visual spectacle for the audience.

*Editing = Editing was really important to me for my video. I think this is the the element that made my video look so much more professional as I have so many cuts due to my video being all performance. I have used fast-cut montage throughout my video and this has given me a great finish to my video and provided syntagmatic connotations to the audience.

*Lyrics = The lyrics were quite important to me through this production as I was trying to amplify there meaning through my video, its all about being 'in a cold, hot air balloon' which I took as reminising on old memories of youth, I depicted this interpretation by using toys throughout the video 'coming alive', as its unrealistic and so is being able to relieve memories.

Steve Archer's theory of the 8 elements of music videos has really helped me, especially these 4 factors which I found to greatly help my construction and planning of my music video.

No comments:

Post a Comment