Saturday 27 March 2010

mise-en-scene

After analysising different music videos I found that the mise-en-scene was an important element in all videos to make it successful. Mise-en-scene refers to creating an image within a film, so it would be the set, lighting, costumes etc. Mise-en-scene in my own music video is extremely important as if I don't set the mood of my music video how I want my audience may not decode the right meaning of my video and it could also make my music video look amateur.

My whole concept of my music video is toys 'coming alive' so I have to portray this really well to make sure my audience can get the dominant reading from my text. Instead of using a normal bedroom and then adding lots of toys to create the idea of a child's bedroom I spoke to my boyfriend and his family let me use his little sister's bedroom. She is 5 and has the epitome of a kid's bedroom, plus it's a large room so there is a lot of room to move about with the camera and equipment. Luckily my mum throws nothing away so I still had lots of mine and my brothers old toys. I brought these toys round aswell to make sure I had lots of toys covering the floor.
I laid them all over the floor and positioned them as if a child had messily scattered them over the floor. I did this to add to the sense of a child's bedroom to make sure it looked realistic.

Before













After















Another factor I had to take into consideration was lighting. In my video as an opening sequence I used a variety of lights and lamps turning on to lead into my video, because of this I had to have the room dark enough to show the lights turning on but light enough to make sure my filming wasn't dark or distorted. To do this I pulled down the blinds but used extra lights that I borrowed from my cousin who is a photographer and used them for some scenes to create stylised lighting where I needed it.

I had no actors in my video so I didn't need to worry about costumes, hair and make-up so my main focus was on the set design to make sure it was believable as a kids bedroom and created a sense of magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment