Monday 22 March 2010

People's initial interpretations - Fireflies - Owl City

We put together a focus group in order to understand different peoples interpretations of the already released song and its lyrics. Here is some of the feedback we got:

"I think this song is about the growing up and letting go of childhood, while still embracing our dreams and acting upon a few of them ("I saved a few and kept them in a jar"), with the fireflies representing those dreams." - Jake

"It's rare that music is this purely happy and good. It makes me feel like everything is going to be okay." - Bonnie

"I like to think of this as a song about childhood too - maybe it's specifically more about a child's summer. Not wanting to end the day. Trying to stay awake so as not to miss any of the excitement going on. Staying up till you're too tired to sleep and falling asleep dreaming of fireflies. Knowing that eventually summer will end and trying to squeeze the last little piece of enjoyment out of the day." - Lizzie

"I feel like this may also have a sadder mood to it. like how he keeps saying "please take me away from here"

and also
"Its hard to say that I'd rather stay awake when I'm asleep
'Cause everything is never as it seems"

to me he is kinda saying something is going wrong for him, and he cant sleep because he is so tired of it, but he would rather be asleep when he is awake." - James

"This song to me is about your inner child and being happy and making memories. It does have a hint of sadness in it which I think is because all good things come to an end and you will find yourself missing that time of simple fun." - Paddy

No comments:

Post a Comment