Saturday 27 March 2010

Andrew goodwin - which elements were most important for my music video

When researching Andrew Goodwin's 'features of a music video' I found all of his points useful. However there were 4 of his elements which I found most important for my own video to concerntrate on, these were:

*Demonstrating specific genre characterisitcs = this was an important factor for me to considerate before starting my music video as decoders can normally tell by the common forms and conventions, what genre a song normally is by its video. I wanted to stick to some of this typical characteristics to make sure that my target audience took the dominant reading from my text by understanding the genre of my music. This is why I researched other music videos within the Electropop genre to discover forms and conventions and I then applied some of these into my video.

*The relationship between lyrics and visuals = I think the relationship between lyrics and visuals in a music video is important even if they are contradicted. I chose to illistrate some of my lyrics, by literally writting them on toys and spelling them out in the song. The rest of the time the relationship between lyrics and visuals was mainly amplified.


*The relationship between music and visuals = The relationship between music and visuals is also really important, thats why I let the beat of my music determine my editing, all of my cuts were in beat with the music to create a more professional fast-cut montage and to provide syntagmatic connotations for my audience.

*Intertextuality = Seeing as my concept is all about toys coming 'alive' I found the reference to the film Toy Story was constant throughout my video, even without trying to be. I also used the intertextual references of the idea of fairytales with toys coming alive while people are out the room, to create an interesting paradigm.

Looking at Andrew Goodwin's work has provided me with a deeper understanding into music videos and helped me with important elements to concerntrate on withing my own video.

No comments:

Post a Comment